CAPS is primarily offering sessions via Zoom or phone and are prioritizing limited in-person services at this time for students who would otherwise be unable to effectively engage in counseling.
- Initial consultation appointments are brief meetings to assess for appropriate services, and should be scheduled by Zoom or phone. If in-person services are recommended at that initial meeting, the initial consultation counselor will discuss options.
- Students attending counseling sessions remotely through Zoom who do not have access to a private space and/or appropriate technology, have the option to schedule a space at CAPS to attend those sessions. Please discuss these needs with our front desk staff or an initial consultation counselor.
- Students who are located outside of North Carolina should contact CAPS by phone and identify their location to inquire about availability of services. State licensing laws may limit what counseling services we are able to provide, but we can discuss available services and assist students in connecting to local resources.
- Spring groups and workshops will all be delivered remotely through Zoom.
- When possible, students are asked to call to schedule services rather than coming to the CAPS building at this time.
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an initial appointment with a counselor, call 704-687-0311 during our business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Appointments are typically scheduled in advance, though we hold a limited number of same-day appointments to meet the needs of students in crisis. If you are in crisis and need immediate support, please refer to our Crisis page to identify appropriate resources.
All currently enrolled UNC Charlotte students are eligible for an initial consultation. This is a brief appointment, typically lasting 25-30 minutes, that is focused on assessing needs, addressing any immediate concerns, and providing recommendations for services.
If you are looking to schedule an initial appointment with a provider who specializes in substance use counseling or are a student athlete looking to schedule with our Sport Psychologist, please let our front desk staff know when you call to schedule so they can ensure you are scheduled with the appropriate provider.
All CAPS services are free of charge. Please let us know if you have accessibility needs.
When scheduling an initial consultation, CAPS front desk staff will email you a link for accessing the appointment by Zoom or phone.
The morning of the initial appointment, students will receive another link by email for the paperwork they will complete through our secure web portal before attending their appointment. This will include consents for counseling and telehealth services, demographic information, and information about current and past functioning. We ask that you complete the paperwork fully at least 30 minutes before your appointment to ensure that the counselor is able to review it before they meet with you. If paperwork is not completed before the session, we will need to reschedule to a different appointment time.
Personal commitment to counseling is crucial for success. We encourage students to attend all scheduled appointments. If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please do so as soon as possible by calling CAPS at 704-687-0311. Repeated missed sessions without advance notice may negatively affect your eligibility for counseling services at CAPS.